Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Islamic schools
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Islamic schools

Re:Islamic schools 2 years, 4 months ago #351

Assalamualaikum

I am an Indian interested in moving to Malaysia for my kids education. My main concern is Islamic environment and quality of education. I pray that my children grow up ax exemplary Muslims and are boon to society. I have done some research and have narrowed down my search to at tamimi and green view. Any one who has first hand experience , please help me out to make the final call. I tried integrated Islamic school , but it seems they don't have any seats left. I plan to stay in shah alam . Any particular location in shah alam , if any one knows, which would be good for living a good Islamic life.
Jazakallah

Allah hafiz

Re:Islamic schools 2 years, 4 months ago #352

• Isabelle
  • Administrator
Walaykum assalaam Mohammed

There is some feedback about Greenview and At Tamimi in this thread - do have a read.

In Shah Alam there are some families staying in Kelab Golf Sultan Abdul Aziz Shah (KGSAAS) and some in Bukit Jelutong. Greenview has now moved to Bukit Jelutong so that could be a good option for you.

ws
Isabelle

Re:Islamic schools 2 years, 4 months ago #355

Asssalalaikum wr wb

Jazakallah for the help

I went through the net and what I found was that KGSAAS is mainly a golf related residential area and looks too modern for comfort. I may be wrong. Is this the same right outside the state mosque?

Jelutong seems to be upscale locality. I dont know what it means in Malaysian context. I would be happy to find a simple locality with good devout Muslims around and mosque close by.

Can you please help me if jelutongfalls in this category or any other location in shah alam will better suit.

Thanks

Allah hafiz

Re:Islamic schools 2 years, 4 months ago #362

• Isabelle
  • Administrator
I'm not sure what you mean by 'too modern' or what gave you that impression. Many people live there not because they like to play golf but because the setting and environment are pleasant. Shah Alam is predominantly a Muslim town - I'm not sure if some areas in Shah Alam are particularly more Islamic than others but if you prefer to live right next to the mosque then you could look around there when looking for a place to live and get a feel for both places. Bukit Jelutong is a relatively new area and quite expensive for Shah Alam but nothing particularly unislamic about the place as far as I'm aware. I think there was land reserved there for a mosque to be built but not sure if/when it will be built.

Re:Islamic schools 2 years, 4 months ago #364

Assalam

Thanks again for the quick reply.

Since I am not in Malaysia , I may not be able to get the right impression. I carried that impression since I saw some women not properly dressed preparing to go for a game of golf. I think I will have to visit these places to get the right feel. But. Tink this exercise is helping me to get an idea in going bout to finalize a place to settle down.

Lately I came to know about basheera international school from this forum. If any one has idea about the quality of education here and also how is gombak for living.

Jazakallah

Allah hafiz

Re: Islamic schools 2 years, 4 months ago #367

• Din
  • Fresh Boarder
Salam,

My name is Din and after reading this thread, I am able to conclude that the possible top 2 recommended international islamic schools are Greenview and At Tamimi, am I correct to say so? Has anyone heard about IMAS (International Modern Islamic School)

My questions on the school and I hope anyone out there can provide the info where possible
1) what is the student population in both schools?
2) What is the average teacher:student ration in both schools?
3) Do the schools conduct the GCE level examination when students are in Yr10 and Yr12 of their academic study?
4) Do the schools have sports facilities? If yes, what are they?

My other questions is on extra activities beyond school.
1) Where should I go to find out more on piano tutor. average charges?
2) Most important question, is broadband/internet connection from the various service providers stable? if so who is there any recommendation of the service provider? My work requires that I constantly access the internet hence the service should not be easily disrupted? My family intend to stay close to the schools for convenience.

Thanks in advance on your reply.
Regards,
Din

Re: Islamic schools 2 years, 4 months ago #368

• Asim
Salaam Din, regarding the broadband, I don't think you have much choice. TM is probably who you'd have to go with - and broadly speaking it should be a very reliable service (Unify is their fastest service). I believe Maxis cover some areas but don't know much more about them.

Just bear in mind that it takes a couple of weeks to get it set up unless you chase them from day 1. They say they'll do it in 3 or 4 days, but usually when you call them on day 5 they'll have lost your application or something along those lines. This has happened 3 times to me.

Re: Islamic schools 2 years, 4 months ago #369

• Isabelle
  • Administrator
Salaams Din

As far as I know Greenview and At Tamimi are both relatively small schools. I'm not sure about At-Tamimi but Greenview has so far had low students to teacher ratio as it's quite a new school - best to contact the schools directly for more precise details. I believe both schools offer iGSCE. I don't think the schools have dedicated sports facilities (not sure about Greenview as it just moved to a new site) but they offer a few extra-curricular sports activities.

From the parents I know who have kids at IMAS the feedback I have heard is that Arabic teaching is good but there are issues with discipline and school administration responsiveness.

My friend has a piano tutor come to her house to teach her son and the teacher charges about RM50 per hour.

ws
Isabelle

Re: Islamic schools 2 years, 4 months ago #370

• Vivi Sidik
Assalamualaikum Bro Din,

I've send my daughter to At-Tamimi. Here's some of the answer i can give you:

1) Students population at At-Tamimi is roughly around 200 students. In my daughter's class, i.e. Primary 1, they have 20 students.
2) I'm not sure about the ratio. But i do know that my daughter has 8 different teachers teaching 12 different subjects. And i do know that they have different sets of teachers teaching lower primary and upper primary.
3) i've copied this from their website:

Primary Level

Primary 1 until Primary 5

Major Exams

First Semester Examination & Second Semester Examination
Primary 6

Major Exams

Ujian Penilaian Sekolah Rendah ( UPSR )- This exam is only for Malaysian students
Junior School Leaving Assessment ( JSLA )

Secondary

- Major Exams

Junior High School Assessment ( JHSA )
International General Certificate of Secondary Education ( O' Level )

4) Since the school is attached to a badminton sport center, they do have badminton. The students can also sign up for Taekwando class. They will conduct the Taekwando class at the badminton court.

Hope this helps.

Have a blessed day,
vivi

Re: Islamic schools 2 years, 4 months ago #371

• Din
  • Fresh Boarder
Thank you all for your valuable reply, appreciate it!

Re: Islamic schools 2 years, 4 months ago #372

Vivi Sidik

Thanks for your post. I think I will be putting my children in at tamimi as this iseems to be a good school and provide visa to guardians.

Please let me know a good area/apartment/ building / residential close to school, so that one can walk to the school

Jazakallah

Mohammed rehan

Re: Islamic schools 2 years, 4 months ago #373

• MyExpatMM2H
my kids go to IMAS. check their website imas.com.my.

although not an islamic school it does cover basics such as quran & islamic studies in arabic/english. most of the students are arabs of yemeni origin. the management & most teachers are yemeni with a few india, other arabs. the management are very good & seem to look after the students very well in terms of discipline, tuition & general student/teacher relationship.

the school itself does not have good infrastructure but has adequate facilities for tuition & playtime only. extra curricular is basically non existent but have promised to do more. however they do have a once a week PE lesson. all students must learn arabic & they have non-arabic classes from year 4+. good environment & good ethics.

my kids have been there less than a year & we find it quite good compared to others. its not perfect but this is the best you get in malaysia in terms of islamic environment. they follow the cambridge UK curr. the area is very high class, bukit tunku, right in the city & can be difficult to get to but if staying nearby then no problems. i know few people living in the area & school has many buses going to many areas.

we did see greenview & attamimi but were disappointed with them.

thats it but must visit each school & make your own mind up, the principal at IMAS is great as well as the rest of the management team inc teachers & other support staff.

tc & ws

Re: Islamic schools 2 years, 4 months ago #376

• Vivi Sidik
Assalamualaikum Bro Mohammed Rehan,

I'm glad i could help. There's an apartment right in front of the school. It's just a 5 minutes walk to the school. I am not sure the name of the apartment. The apartment is attached to a shopping mall. You can find Carrefour and 7-11 in the mall. Hope this helps.

Have a blessed day,
vivi

Re: Islamic schools 2 years, 3 months ago #390

• siti hasina
Assalamualaikum

I am a Malaysian. Came across this group as i was doing some readings on my daughter's school (Baseerah International School) where she's in grade 2 and i have another 2 kids at IIUM Montesorri (kindergarten). Found some questions regarding Malaysia, the malays, the places, internet connections, transportations, politics etc. Can i offer some help/advice?

I would disconnect if this is not proper as i am not an expat member here

Re: Islamic schools 2 years, 3 months ago #391

• Isabelle
  • Administrator
Salaams Siti Hasina

This site is not restricted to expats! It's aimed at expats because they often don't have local contacts to find information from, especially before they move here but anyone is welcome to contribute.

Please do share any advice you have on any subject. What is your experience with Baseerah and IIUM preschool?

Re: Islamic schools 2 years, 2 months ago #393

• ziauddin
  • Fresh Boarder
Salam, I’m a Malaysian married to expat. We came back to settle down in Malaysia (we live in Shah Alam now) early this year – main reason is because we want our kids to start their early education in an Islamic environment. Some info to share:
1. Residential area – there many muslim community areas here like Shah Alam, Putrajaya, Bangi etc. I will share info about Shah Alam since we live there. Shah Alam is a big area divided into sections, Bukit Jelutong (BJ) residential area for example is in Section U8. BJ is a mixed community, the neighbours are mostly educated Malays (still majority), Chinese, Indians and expatriates. There is a new residential area in Section U9, Cahaya SPK (resort living residential) www.spkhomes.spkb.net about 15 mins from BJ. It is a peaceful and quite area. Section 9 Shah Alam is the town center of Shah Alam where state mosque is situated. Here in Malaysia you can find mosque within all big residential areas of muslim majority so finding the nearest mosque is not a problem.
2. School – We sent both our kids of 3 and 5 year old to Children Islamic Centre in Bukit Jelutong, it’s a bi-language (English & Malay language) school. This school suited us (and the kids) best since we want them to pick up Malay language as well – now they can understand some Malay words. We plan to send our 5 year old to Greenview Islamic School Bukit Jelutong when he turns 6 next year. This school receives a very good view plus it’s near to our house.
When choosing the school, not only you consider the school performance but you also have to take into account the distance from your house, traffic can be bad in early morning/ long journey is tiring for the kids.
As parents we always want the best for our kids, in doing so sometimes we forget about what our kids want...your kids will only excel if they are happy. No point sending them to top school, paying expensive fee if your kids are not happy, so choose wisely.

Re: Islamic schools 2 years ago #420

• azam
  • Fresh Boarder
salam..my name is azam and a local residence in malaysia. i have 4 children going to integrated islamic school kota damansara. we have been with the school for the last 7 years and very happy with the progress of our children. the school is is english and arabic medium but will hear the children speak with a mix of malay, english , arabic at the same time, and all in one sentence!! the academic sylabus are from singapore and the secondary students haave to attend the tahfiz program. as long your children can mix well with other students here, she will have a good time in school.

i have yet to send any of my children to their pre school but primary and secondary program are quite good. total students are about 350 and international students are less than 5%. the hafiz program that they started about 1.5 years ago has helped my boys in their acedemic in general.

pls free to contact me at This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it

Re: Islamic schools 2 years ago #422

• Suri
  • Fresh Boarder
Salam.

My family and I, we moved from USA to Johor, Malaysia in December of last year. I first applied at Sekolah Rendah Islam Hidayah (Johor) however, my children failed the entrance exam because they do not speak, read or write Malay. So, I applied at Maahad Tahfiz Al Akhyar and they were very accommodating to us and understand that it will take time for my children to learn the language. We are happy with the school, the principal is from Canada and the Arabic Teacher is from Sudan. It is a small school and I love it.
6 months have passed and my children are doing very well academically and spiritually. Their Malay sounds just like any other Malay children and their English remains and sound the same as before.
2 years from now, my oldest son will be going to high school, insya allah. And I have started the search. They have Sekolah Menengah Hidayah here in Johor but I know the competition to get into the school is tough. Because it is one and only good Islamic School in the area. And there are thousands of applicants.
I searched online and found International Islamic School and from the information on the website, it looks good. It has everything that I am looking for....
However, the review from other parents looked bleak eventhough it was like almost 3 years ago. Has anyone have any latest information, review on this school?
Besides this school, what other high schools are there to recommend?

Thank you

Re: Islamic schools 2 years ago #424

• Isabelle
  • Administrator
Salaams Suri

Thank you for the info about Johor and good to know your children have had a good experience at their school.

For Islamic schools in KL please see this link (all the schools offer secondary curriculum except Itqan):

www.salaamexpat.com/malaysia/index.php?o...p;id=5&Itemid=10

This thread contains comments on most of these schools.

ws
Isabelle

Re: Islamic schools 1 year, 10 months ago #457

Salam brothers & sisters,

Anybody sending their kids to Itqan (www.itqan.com.my/iis/)? I have not decided which school my five-year old daughter will attend but my wife and I have visited IISKD. Looks decent but we are still open to suggestion.

BTW, which pre-school have their own recreational area?

Jazakallah.
Time to create page: 1.00 seconds

Latest Forum Posts

in Relocation by Asim, 31-07-14 21:06
in Tourism & Travel by Yassine, 31-07-14 14:57
in Schools by dawood, 31-07-14 13:11
in Relocation by Yassine, 31-07-14 11:29
in Schools by Isabelle, 31-07-14 09:01